The Miami Dolphins have just started training camp following a hard fought overachieving 2020 regular season. By the low standards the Dolphins have set over the last two decades, Dolfans have been browbeaten to believe a winning record and just missing the playoffs was a successful year.
But when was the last time the Dolphins accomplished the benchmark most NFL cities would consider a successful season, a playoff victory?
It was December 30, 2000 when the Dolphins beat the Indianapolis Colts 23-17. It was over 20 years ago but let’s take a look at actually how long ago the Dolphins last postseason victory was.
- Opposing quarterback Peyton Manning at 24 years old was considered a bust for not having a playoff victory in his first three seasons,
- Current Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores was a 19 year old sophomore at Boston College.
- Current Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was a two year old toddler still in diapers.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick was 18 years old and as of yet unable to grow a beard.
Since that glorious December day when the Dolphins last tasted a meaningful win how much time exactly has passed….
- 7,527 days.
- Every NFL team but the Detroit Lions and Cincinnati Bengals have won a playoff game.
- 12 NFL teams have won a Super Bowl and 19 teams have played in a Super Bowl.
- The hated New England Patriots have won 30 playoff games including six Super Bowls.
- The Miami Heat have won 25 playoff series including three championships.
- Even the awful Miami Marlins baseball team has won five playoff series including a World Series.
- The Dolphins have employed ten head coaches since that victory.
- And they’ve started 21 quarterbacks.
Some more context on how long ago December 30, 2000 was…
- The World Trade Center was still standing.
- Bill Clinton was still president.
- Bob Hope and Ronald Reagan were still alive.
- Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo and the NBA #1 draft pick Cade Cunningham had yet to be born.
- You could greet an out of town visitor at the gate when their plane arrived.
- You could have bought $5,000 worth of Amazon stock for under $17.00 a share and been a millionaire in 2021.
So come on Dolphins let’s get a playoff victory this year. Your fans are due!